Re: Setting up samba (2:4.5.12+dfsg-2+deb9u4) ... Failed to preset unit: Unit file /etc/systemd/system/samba-ad-dc.service is masked.

On 12/4/18 5:58 AM, David Wright wrote:
On Mon 03 Dec 2018 at 21:00:42 (-0800), David Christensen wrote:
On 12/2/18 11:39 PM, john doe wrote:
If you still want to use samba.service you could try:

$ cd /lib/systemd/system && ln -sf smbd.service samba.service

I don't know if the above command has side effects though.

It would be nice if the package name and service name matched, but
"service smbd status" works and I don't know systemd, so I will leave
it alone.

AIUI (if I do), SMB is the protocol, and smbd is the daemon that
provides it. However, juxtaposing the strings "smb" and "serv*" falls
foul of a trademark, hence the coining of "samba" for the name of the
implementation.

Ok.

David