Domain Login Works from Console, not From X

I have installed Debian on a new laptop, and have configured it to authenticate users from our campus Active Directory network (using the instructions at http://goshen.acu.edu/westk/DEBIAN/).

Logging in works fine from the console, but if I try logging in via sddm, the login screen just hangs. I had tried this same thing with a slightly different new laptop a week or so back, and got similar results, where the console works, but the GUI login did not. I think that machine might have been using gdm.

DuckDuckGo hasn''t been too helpful in getting me around this issue, and I thought it might be time to ask you folks.

Thanks!

--
Kent West                    <")))><