Re: Package install history - logs etc ?

On 2018-12-03, rhkramer@gmail.com <rhkramer@gmail.com> wrote:

>> > The logs are gzipped periodically (gibberish for less).
>>
>> But not for zless.
>
> Hmm, I might have found / committed a [p]ebkac, it now seems that, for
> example:
>
> cat /var/log/dpkg.log.* | less
>
> ... works fine.  Not sure what I did wrong earlier.  (And they apparently are
> not gzipped (on my Wheezy system).

I'd guess you're looking at the beginning of the file (i.e. the
current log and the first rotated, uncompressed log) and haven't
bothered scrolling to the end (where it should be compressed, and
gibberish even for a cat). But not for a zcat. I would
also call a UUOC.

Anyway, when I ran your command this state of things described above
fooled me for some moments. What?  This works? Why? And I began to rue
once again the deep well of my ignorance. Then I scrolled to the end
of the file and realized what was going on.

YMMV.

--
He used sentences differently from any other prose writer. He always sounded
like a slightly drunk man who is very melancholy, who has no illusions about