Re: Package install history - logs etc ?

On Mon 03 Dec 2018 at 12:01:51 (-0500), rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
> On Monday, December 03, 2018 10:21:44 AM Brian wrote:

> > > The logs are gzipped periodically (gibberish for less).

Take a look at   man lesspipe   or   man lessfile. Evaluating this
command sets up a scheme for preprocessing the input to less, making
its direct use possible.

> > But not for zless.
>
> Hmm, I might have found / committed a [p]ebkac, it now seems that, for
> example:
>
> cat /var/log/dpkg.log.* | less
>
> ... works fine.  Not sure what I did wrong earlier.

Filenames of rotated and compressed logfiles look very like compressed
manpages. I think there are/have been circumstances where confusion
can lead to the former being processed as if the latter, amongst other
possibilities.

> (And they apparently are not gzipped (on my Wheezy system).

Check the contents of /etc/logrotate.d/dpkg perhaps.

Cheers,
David.