Re: Looking for a "friendly" e-mail service

On Monday 26 November 2018 21:22:35 Erik Christiansen wrote:

> On 26.11.18 17:13, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Get on the horn and ask your isp if they run a mailserver. Mine
> > does, and I use it, but when I first started, I had to call their
> > network guy and have him whitelist all the mailing lists I an on.
>
> Here, down under, that's the norm - I've never heard of an ISP which
> so despises the 'S' that there's no mail. We generally have a choice
> of IMAP or POP3. (I have fetchmail set to use the latter.)
>
> > Other than that, it just works, and I'm only getting perhaps .01% of
> > the spam I was getting thru a qmail server I used previously as an
> > ex employee.
>
> Ditto. I've had to use my ISP's GUI utility to relax their spam
> filtering, else I miss out on even notices of specials from the
> vendors I deal with. The few unwanted which then also sneak in are
> just diverted with an additional procmail recipe, as that utility is
> already in place for distributing list mail to individual mailboxes.
> (Saves learning yet another app when not really needed.)
>
> Erik

Theres an echo in here, sounds exactly like what I've been doing for the
last 20+ years. Very very little work to keep track of around 40 mailing
lists I'm on, an eclectic list some have called it.

I even wrote a script to couple kmail so the incoming mail only exists
few a few milliseconds in /var/mail. I'm a lazy cuss, let the computer
handle all that stuff, that is what I built it for, to work FOR me. And
its been very happy being my slave.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)