Re: openvpn over ipv6 /65

Thanks for your quick response, Reco,

On 23/11/2018 13:33, Reco wrote:
> 	Hi.
>
> On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 01:18:45PM +0100, tony wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a Stretch VPServer with a /64 netbloch, of which only the first 2
>> addresses are used. I've been struggling for some time to get the right
>> stanza to split that into two /65s, using the upper half for openvpn.
>
> I'd check first that some other addresses from this /64 range are routed
> by your VPS provider.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. As far as I'm aware, my VPS
provider furnishes a full native /64 netblock for my exclusive use.
They'll provide more, at a cost, but I see no point in that.

[snip]

> Ad-hoc configuration:
>
> ### check this on your OS!
> # ip a d igb0 2001:db8:0:123::/64
> # ip a a igb0 2001:db8:0:123::/65
> ###
> ### re-assign the other aliases previously set under the /64 block
> # ip a a igb0 2001:db8:0:123::dead/128
> # ip a a igb0 2001:db8:0:123::ea:beef/128

I'm not using any addresses other than the ::1 and ::2 in the /64 block,
so presumably the last two lines are redundant.

> As for the persistent configuration, that depends on the contents of
> /etc/network/interfaces. Can be static (it's straightforward then),
> DHCPv6 (you won't be able to do the split) or RA (ditto).

No, it's all static:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 188.246.204.210
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 188.246.204.1

iface eth0 inet6 static
           address 2a03:9800:10:54::2
           netmask 64
           gateway 2a03:9800:10:54::1

So what is igb0? What do you mean by ad-hoc and persistent configuration?

Thanks again, Tony