Re: Still unable to restart networking on Debian 9 text mode only

	Here we try to post our e-mails to the list, so the whole community
would benefit from the answers. Sending a email directly to the list
subscriber is fine if you want to discuss something in private, which is
clearly not the case here.
And please do not top post.

Now, to the problem at hand.

On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 11:05:51AM -0200, Luciano Andress Martini wrote:
> You say that ifdown and ifup is just enough,

Yup.

> So lets try it:
> #editor /etc/network/interfaces
> Changed the ip.
> #ifdown enp0s3
> RTNETLINK answers: Cannot assign requested address

And that's where you're doing it wrong.
ifdown tries to remove the IP listed at /etc/network/interfaces first,
and to bring the interface down next.

Basically you've just asked ifdown to remove a non-configured address,
but do nothing for the configured one.

> #ifup enp0s3

A correct sequence to do this is:

ifdown <foo>
edit /etc/network/interfaces
ifup <foo>

> Alternatively,
> #service networking restart
> Does not make the ip to change and brokes the network.

Please do not do this unless you have BMC/ILOM/ASMI/direct console
access to the server.

Reco