Re: need google chrome installation instructions that work

On Thu, Nov 22, 2018 at 10:07:51AM -0600, David Wright wrote:
> It works fine for me, as shown by the output below. However, I notice
> there's a line:
>
> Note, selecting 'xtoolwait' instead of ' … … /xtoolwait_1.3-6.2_amd64.deb'

Yeah, my own tests always gave me that too, so I decided not to post
my results here.  Apparently the only way I can *test* this and *post*
my results would be if I use a .deb file that does *not* correspond to
a package that is known to apt on my system.  Which would mean either I'd
have to find a random third-party repository that has a *small* package
that I could download and install with apt-get install ./ for testing
purposes, or I would have to purge my web browser, purge the Google
repository from my sources.list.d, apt-get update to purge it from the
cached lists, and then repeat the basic procedure of installing
google-chrome-stable from scratch.

I was not willing to do all of that just to prove people wrong on the
Internet.  I have some limits.

If someone still claims that it "doesn't work", then for the love of RMS,
post:

 * which VERSION of Debian you are using,

 * the EXACT command you used, and

 * the FULL and EXACT output of that command.

One person who claimed it "didn't work" went through those steps and
discovered that the wrong command had been used.