Re: need google chrome installation instructions that work

On Wed, 21 Nov 2018 11:21:15 -0500
Greg Wooledge <wooledg@eeg.ccf.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 08:02:23AM -0800, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > I use gdebi (it's in the repos) to install locally saved .deb files.
> > Apt-get won't install local files, that is, not in a repo.
>
> Yes, it will.  But you have to supply the filename with a
> leading / or ./ or ../ prefix.
>
> sudo apt-get install ./google-chrome-stable*.deb

That never worked for me.  I've tried. Numerous times. Even with
complete paths, changing to directory where file was, full names, etc.,
etc. Both with Wheezy & Stretch. Read somewhere when troubleshooting,
apt-get wouldn't install local .deb.  Only way it would was if you
created a local repo and put it in your sources.list. Too much
trouble. That's why I starting using gdebi for those very rare times
I need to.

Don't know if apt does.  Never tried.

Just occurred to me that since I did customized installs of both Wheezy
and Stretch (No desktop environment, window manager only) starting with
a terminal only system that could be why apt-get won't install
local .deb.  Doesn't matter.  Gdebi works fine.