Re: systemd-networkd and bonding

On 11/23/2018 5:23 AM, Gary Dale wrote:
> On 2018-11-22 11:02 a.m., john doe wrote:
>> On 11/22/2018 4:11 PM, Gary Dale wrote:
>>> I'm running Debian/Stretch (AMD64).
>>>
>>> I'm trying to create a bond between two network devices (currently
>>> testing on my laptop but also have a couple of servers I'd like to use
>>> it on) following the Debian Wiki at https://wiki.debian.org/Bonding.
>>>
>>> I got the ifenslave method working as per the first two examples. Then I
>>> noticed the systemd-networkd method which looks to be the way of the
>>> future. I put the laptop's networking back to it's original settings and
>>> removed ifenslave then proceeded with the example, changing the bond
>>> device's IP to one that works on my network.
>>>
>>> The network seems to come up and the bond device has the correct IP but
>>> my network doesn't work. Since Mode=802.3ad could have problems, I
>>> switched it to active-backup, which worked with ifenslave. Rebooting was
>>> slow and when I logged in, I found the network still wasn't working,
>>> although ifconfig showed exactly what I thought I should see (the bond
>>> device with an IP address and the two slave devices working but without
>>> an IP).
>>>
>>> There's not a lot of online documentation that I've found that doesn't
>>> use ifenslave. Has anyone got this to work using systemd-networkd?
>>>
>> Not tested:
>>
>> https://www.reversengineered.com/2014/08/21/setting-up-bonding-in-systemd/
>>

>>> Also, for my laptop, using dhcp to set the IP makes more sense. The wiki
>>> article sets a static IP:
>>>
>>> [Match]
>>> Name=test-lag
>>> [Network]
>>> Address=192.168.1.13/24
>>> Gateway=192.168.1.1
>>>
>> [Network]
>> DHCP=yes
>>
>> See "Example 2. DHCP on ethernet links" and the "Network" section
>> "DHCP=" at the following URL :
>>
>> https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.network.html
>>
> Thanks. It took a different approach and used different files than the
> Debian Wiki article but it did the trick. My laptop setup currently uses
> some ideas from both (I have .network files using the pci addresses for
> the laptop network hardware that I refer to in the .netdev file). It's
> now running with dhcp and Mode=mode802.3ad.

Glad to hear that you got it working.

> One thing I did notice is that I did need a reboot in at least one point
> to get things working properly. Simply restarting the systemd-networkd
> service didn't do the trick.

This is expected:

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd-networkd.service.html

"This also means that when configuration is updated and systemd-networkd
is restarted, netdev interfaces for which configuration was removed will
not be dropped, and may need to be cleaned up manually."

--
John Doe