Re: systemd-networkd and bonding

On 2018-11-22 11:02 a.m., john doe wrote:
On 11/22/2018 4:11 PM, Gary Dale wrote:
I'm running Debian/Stretch (AMD64).

I'm trying to create a bond between two network devices (currently
testing on my laptop but also have a couple of servers I'd like to use
it on) following the Debian Wiki at https://wiki.debian.org/Bonding.

I got the ifenslave method working as per the first two examples. Then I
noticed the systemd-networkd method which looks to be the way of the
future. I put the laptop's networking back to it's original settings and
removed ifenslave then proceeded with the example, changing the bond
device's IP to one that works on my network.

The network seems to come up and the bond device has the correct IP but
my network doesn't work. Since Mode=802.3ad could have problems, I
switched it to active-backup, which worked with ifenslave. Rebooting was
slow and when I logged in, I found the network still wasn't working,
although ifconfig showed exactly what I thought I should see (the bond
device with an IP address and the two slave devices working but without
an IP).

There's not a lot of online documentation that I've found that doesn't
use ifenslave. Has anyone got this to work using systemd-networkd?

Not tested:

https://www.reversengineered.com/2014/08/21/setting-up-bonding-in-systemd/

Also, for my laptop, using dhcp to set the IP makes more sense. The wiki
article sets a static IP:

[Match]
Name=test-lag
[Network]
Address=192.168.1.13/24
Gateway=192.168.1.1

[Network]
DHCP=yes

See "Example 2. DHCP on ethernet links" and the "Network" section
"DHCP=" at the following URL :

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.network.html

Thanks. It took a different approach and used different files than the Debian Wiki article but it did the trick. My laptop setup currently uses some ideas from both (I have .network files using the pci addresses for the laptop network hardware that I refer to in the .netdev file). It's now running with dhcp and Mode=mode802.3ad.

One thing I did notice is that I did need a reboot in at least one point to get things working properly. Simply restarting the systemd-networkd service didn't do the trick.