Re: VLC doesn't shutdown when closed

On 2018-11-22 10:26 a.m., Curt wrote:
On 2018-11-22, Gary Dale <garyndp@gmail.com> wrote:
I looked for a keep running option (and VLC does have a lot of options)
but couldn't find one.

If in 'Simple Preferences' under 'Playlists and instances' 'use only one
instance when started from file manager' isn't checked the phenomenon
has been known to occur (if you're starting VLC from a file
manager).

I normally start it from Dolphin  and don't have that option checked because I sometimes need to compare two videos.

If not and on the other hand this appears to be a known bug. How you are
closing the app might be pertinent. 'Ctrl Q' after stopping the video?
Or some other way? Have you experimented in this regard?

I normally just click the close "X" on the top-right. I'm lazy so the video probably isn't stopped. I haven't experimented with other methods because I don't consider a media player staying open in the background to be anything but a bug.

I have tried killall vlc but I note that fails to work, confirming my suspicion that this is a bug. A properly behaving program should respond to normal terminate requests.