Re: ssh

Thanks Mike,

I was slowly coming to that conclusion !
What would be best practice regarding a password for that account (i.e. system account such as backuppc that needs ssh access but no shell access).

If I create the user with bash as the shell, I seem to have a few options:
1) don’t set a password (i.e. no reference to password in the adduer command). The man page says this results in the password being “disabled”. What does this actually mean for security ?
2) use —disabled-password (same as 1 above ?)
3) the —disabled-password option appears to be only available on debian. Redhat derivatives only offer useradd which does not have this switch ?

Which would be the most secure, while still allowing ssh access ?

BRgds/Alan