Re: What is the best way to install vim 8.1 on stretch?

On Thu, 15 Nov 2018 10:14:58 +0100
Shane Dev <devshane42@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Shane,

>download the latest source from vim.org and build it on my pc but then I
>would lose the benefits of apt package management.

It's possible to build your own .deb, and install using apt(itude) or
synaptic, thereby retaining package manager benefits.  The 'deb-builder'
package may be of some use to you for this.  Along with some online
tutorials found by searching for 'build your own deb package'.

--
 Regards  _
I don't believe you have to be an idiot to get somewhere these days