Re: how to backup to an encrypted usb drive?

On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 12:18:47PM -0500, Lee wrote:

[...]

> Well that's .. surprising.  I went with xfce because it's supposed to
> be 'lightweight' and I'm trying debian on an old laptop.  If I go with
> something other than xfce is it just mounting & unlocking the external
> drive that changes or is there more?

Just for one data point -- I do my backups basically this way, all
from the command line

  sudo cryptsetup open /dev/sdXX backup
  sudo mount /dev/mapper/backup /media/backup
  backup # this is a script in ~/bin which basically calls rsync
  sudo umount /media/backup
  sudo cryptsetup close backup

The rsync thingie in ~/bin/backup basically does some sanity checks
and calls rsync with --filter="merge $home/.backup/filter". There,
I list some basic excludes and, what's more important, have a line
"dir-merge .backup-filter" -- so I can exclude big, uninteresting
things (videos, virtual OS images etc) which are easy to recover.

This way my backup is around 55G and fits in a 64G stick. Has served
me well so far.

Cheers
-- t