Display problems after installation (Stretch)

I succeeded in installing Debian Stretch (x64), but not in getting suitable graphical performance. My system includes a 4D display (3840 x 2160), LG 24UD58, and an AMD RX 480 display adapter (should use amdgpu). Ubuntu and Fedora both aced it when installed on this hardware, promptly configuring the target hardware correctly. I then set the scale to 200%, so the text is not too difficult to read.

The popular installation disk was used to install Debian, and the installed system did not boot at all. I then used the special installation disk, firmware-9.6.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso. The installation booted, but the best resolution that could be obtained was 1280 x 1024, and the monitor was not detected. I tried a number of approaches to correct the situation posted online, and now I'm here, using Ubuntu. I thought I was going to like Debian, however, so any comments on this situation would be welcome.