Re: Suspend - which packages are at least needed?

On 13.11.2018 13:39, Hans wrote:
Hi folks,

in earlier times suspend-to-disk worked fine, but now after the years things
changed. Suspend-to-disk is no more working. This might be by changes in the
kernel and in the packages.

So I want to do a fresh configuration for susspending.

What packages do I really need? On my debian/testing I have

laptop-mode-tools, uswsusp, tux-on-ice, powerdevil (Plasma5),acpi and
hibernate.

I believe, these might be too much. Any ideas?

Thanks for any hints.

Best

Hans

I believe nowadays suspend\hibernate functions are handled purely by kernel, which talks directly with ACPI firmware of the motherboard. So you don't need any additional (legacy) packages to get that functionality, besides systemd that has modules to help handle sleep\suspend\hibernation functionality. This is how hibernation works on my PC workstation and on my cheap netbook.

There are wiki page that helps with configuration and explains many things about how hibernation works. [1] Basically all you have to do is create a large enough swap partition and setup it's GUID in "resume" file located inside "/etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d" folder.

Also, it might be helpful to check out kernel documentation about these functions and how to test and debug them. [2]

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/Hibernation

[2] https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/power/basic-pm-debugging.txt

--
With kindest regards, Alexander.