I may volunteer to be a package maintainer

https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/pyfltk

I noticed that Debian and hence Ubuntu have dropped the "python-fltk" package.

If I volunteer to be the maintainer of the package is there
documentation I can read to learn how to become a package maintainer?

Also, if this package is maintained in Debian will it also need a
maintainer in Ubuntu or will I also have to do that too. If yes, then
can I just maintain it for Ubuntu?

The main reason I ask that is I know Debian supports many
architectures, which I don't have access to. I was mainly just
interested in maintaining the AMD64 arch. Is this possible?