Re: Removing firefox-esr also removes gnome

On 11/5/18, David Parker <dparker@utica.edu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm running Debian 9.5 (amd64) and attempting to uninstall firefox-esr.
> However, apt says that gnome and gnome-core are among the packages which
> will also be uninstalled.  Does anyone know why Gnome apparently depends on
> firefox-esr, and how I can just uninstall firefox-esr and leave Gnome
> alone?
>
> Thanks!
>
> # apt-get remove firefox-esr
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer
> required:
>   empathy empathy-common fonts-stix hyphen-en-us libdiscid0 libjsoncpp1
> libreoffice libreoffice-help-en-us libreoffice-report-builder-bin
> libtelepathy-farstream3 mythes-en-us sound-juicer telepathy-gabble
>   telepathy-salut
> Use 'apt autoremove' to remove them.

I saw the other interesting information that was directly about your
question. This part about "are no longer required" caught my eye
because it references LibreOffice. Is that on purpose on your part,
meaning had you decided that was no longer needed?

In advance, I understand that it could be some "metapackage" thing or
something, but I just did a quick check on my setup. This second I'm
in a couple year old Buster (out of necessity/desperation). It's just
been upgraded except for packages still on hold by Developers.

LibreOffice stood its ground in mine throughout while I just upgraded
800 packages @ 295MB (with those other 434 [outdated] plus 456 new
totaling 883 MB still on hold).

As long as I'm here with that curiosity about LibreOffice no longer
being needed, LibreOffice's "apt-cache show LibreOffice" output had a
nice quip that helped me further understand apt/apt-get's thought
process even more:

"[LibreOffice's metapackage] also recommends additional packages (e.g.
fonts) in order to match an upstream LibreOffice install as closely as
possible."

Ohhhhh, ok, so recommended files are at least in part about us users
replicating Developers' setups more completely? That's how my brain's
interpreting that right there. I can see the rationale when it comes
to doing things like actively filing bug reports. If that specific has
come up previously on Debian-User, it just *pffft* right overhead that
time. :)

> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   firefox-esr gnome gnome-core iceweasel libarchive12 libepc-1.0-3
> libepc-ui-1.0-3 libgnutls-deb0-28 libgnutls28 libhogweed2 libhogweed2:i386
> libnettle4 libnettle4:i386 task-gnome-desktop
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 14 to remove and 82 not upgraded.
> After this operation, 121 MB disk space will be freed.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n
> Abort.

Cindy :)
--