Re: Removing firefox-esr also removes gnome

On Mon, Nov 05, 2018 at 11:55:48AM -0500, David Parker wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm running Debian 9.5 (amd64) and attempting to uninstall firefox-esr.
> However, apt says that gnome and gnome-core are among the packages which
> will also be uninstalled.  Does anyone know why Gnome apparently depends on
> firefox-esr, and how I can just uninstall firefox-esr and leave Gnome alone?
>
> Thanks!

If you know what you are doing, you can also use equivs [1] [2] to
let the package manager believe that some dependency is satisfied.

As always, lying comes at a cost, the minimum being to remember what
lies you've told so-far :-)

Cheers

[1] https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-reference/ch02.en.html#_the_equivs_package
[2] https://packages.debian.org/stretch/equivs