Re: IT IS A BUG -- Re: Strangeness when binary executable overwritten by text -- bug or feature?

On Mon, Nov 05, 2018 at 12:31:11PM +0000, Andy Smith wrote:
> - You have a launcher file that references an executable. In normal
>   cases calling the launcher from your desktop environment (I don't
>   know if this is by menu or button or something else) causes the
>   binary to run. I'm assuming it is a command line binary and you've
>   told it to run in a terminal, so, the expected result is a
>   terminal window with this program running in it.

I would not assume that he "told it to run in a terminal".  I would
in fact assume the exact opposite.

> - You told the launcher to run a terminal with a login shell and now
>   it does do something to indicate there was a failure of the
>   binary.

In this case, he probably "told it to run in a terminal", and whether
the terminal uses a login shell or not is irrelevant.  The fact that
now it's running the program inside a terminal (or possibly a terminal
plus a shell), instead of directly executing the program within an X11
session but outside of a terminal, is what causes the changed behavior.

See my previous message in this thread for a discussion of the treatment
of ENOEXEC by various shells and non-shell programs.

It would be helpful if we knew *which* GUI launcher was in use.  Someone
may know precisely how it operates, so we could avoid guesswork and
assumptions.

Also remember to whom you're responding here.  Richard Owlett has quite
a reputation on this list, and some research into his past threads might
be informative.