Re: www-data

On Thursday 01 November 2018 07:50:11 Jonathan Dowland wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 09:24:25AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >That may be. Right now I see something from the php cleanup spamming
> > my logs.  Is anyone else see it, something cron is running several
> > times a day, but which can't be found by htop. So apparently it goes
> > away when its done.  And AFAIK, nothings running thats php5 related.
>
> Note that PHP5 is not available in the current Debian stable release.

> Are you (knowingly) running oldstable?

No, wheezy because LCNC still runs on it. I understand a stretch release,
probably with an old 3.something rt kernel for a kernel is being worked
on. There are hideous problems with irq latency in later 64 bit kernels
so they are not able to do the stuff LCNC needs to do in anything
resembling realtime.

> (which does still have support
> thanks to the LTS effort/Freexian)? If not, you may be vulnerable to
> PHP5 security problems. It would be worth seeing if your scripts can
> work in PHP7 instead.

Frankly, I'd just as soon rip it out.  I'm not knowingly using it and
neither is LCNC and its turned into a huge security liability I sure
don't need to have to worry about.

> I actually was caught by surprise by this myself, as I have PHP on my
> web server but I don't make active use of it myself (it's installed
> for stuff my colleagues use)

Thanks all.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett