Re: Strangeness when binary executable overwritten by text -- bug or feature?

On 10/31/2018 10:57 AM, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
On Wednesday, October 31, 2018 11:45:15 AM Richard Owlett wrote:
On 10/31/2018 10:31 AM, rhkramer@gmail.com wrote:
On Wednesday, October 31, 2018 10:14:40 AM Richard Owlett wrote:
Debian 9.1 with MATE installed from DVD set.

Due a non-reproducible sequence of events, a binary executable was over
written by the contents of a man page in pure text format.

Just to (maybe?) help with the proper focus, was this a human error or
something that seemed to happen without human intervention?

As I replied to Reco, "Cannot reproduce detailed PEBKAC ;< "

Ok, then, it doesn't seem to indicate a disk problem (as some seemed to
suspect).

Reco's comment that it could be a "(mis)feature" and Greg's response led me to investigate further. I'm personally convinced there is a bug having some aspects of being a "corner case".

I think I can create some repeatable test cases. It'll take some time.
I may not be a computer geek, but decades in engineering and/or customer support can be enlightening.