Re: Strangeness when binary executable overwritten by text -- bug or feature?

On 2018-10-31, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
> On 10/31/2018 09:18 AM, Curt wrote:
>> On 2018-10-31, Richard Owlett <rowlett@cloud85.net> wrote:
>>> Debian 9.1 with MATE installed from DVD set.
>>>
>>> Due a non-reproducible sequence of events, a binary executable was over
>>> written by the contents of a man page in pure text format. For unknown
>>> reason, the resulting file was tagged as executable.
>>
>> I want to predict immediately that this can of worms will produce the
>> longest thread in the history of debian user.
>
> ONLY if members of this group can't or wont read.
> I believe I rigorously complied with
> [http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]

I guess I stumbled immediately upon "non-reproducible sequence of
events." Then I kind of wondered, like, well, can those events be
briefly described, at least? Or maybe 'non-reproducible' means you just
don't know what the hell happened?

But Reco extracted marrow from your post, and I will gracefully bow
out now and let you boys have at it without further ado.

--
When you have fever you are heavy and light, you are small and swollen, you
climb endlessly a ladder which turns like a wheel.