Re: i386 version for chrome

<gheskett@shentel.net> wrote:
> > On Saturday 27 October 2018 11:03:56 Matthew Crews wrote:
> > > Correct me if I'm wrong, but Wheezy is no longer supported, and
> > > Jessie is barely supported. Except as a curiosity, why would you
> > > want to use a web browser on Wheezy these days?
> >
> > Because its main application (LinuxCNC) is married to a 32 bit
> > install, wheezy ATM.
>
> Gotcha, I suspected it was something like that.
>
> I personally wouldn't connect such a device to the internet unless I
> had to, or if I had firewalls configured correctly. But I'm going to
> assume you know what you're doing in that regard :)
>
> I would prepare for the inevitable time when a Chromium-based web
> browser simply becomes unsupported on i386.
>
> Also I was incorrect about Wheezy support. It still has commercial
> Extended LTS support for another seven months.
> https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/Extended Looks like the LinuxCNC folks
> will need to plan on migrating to a later version of Debian soon.

They are working on it. For stretch. The problem is that its also
expected to run on 25+ yo hardware too. Telling some shop owner who
isn't computer literate, that he has to pop for a new computer, and a
consultant to come in and make it work, upping the cost for that new
hardware and the consultant to marry it all together, brings the cost of
free software to often north of 5 grand per machine since the consultant
likes to eat and have a warm place to sleep while he is doing it.

He, not figuring on that, will junk the machine and buy a new one with a
fanuc control, for 30-60 grand just to get that spot on the floor back
to making money, but with 20% of linuxcnc's capability (but his
machinists can understand the loss as that loss of capability translates
into lost piecework bonuses for them). Fanuc and several others treat
the specialty stuff that LCNC can do OOTB as extra fee addons that
because the shop owner is not savvy, costs him a bunch. So the LCNC
developers have to jump thru burning hoops to try and recover the lost
latency that jumping to a 64 bit kernel costs them. I'm not doing the
broadcast consulant scene anymore, not at 84 and taking care of a wife
dying from copd.

I think the characterization is "between a rock and a hard place".

Thanks Matthew.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)