Re: versioning file system

On 10/25/18 7:45 PM, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
On Thu, Oct 25, 2018 at 05:32:52PM -0700, David Christensen wrote:

Has anybody tried copyfs, fsvs, or anything else with file versioning?

In my experience, I have only found a need to version /etc and $HOME
(and really only parts of $HOME, as opposed to all of it).

/etc, per-user development directories, and per-user document directories are what I have in mind.

I find that git works really well for that.  In particular, on Debian
you can install etckeeper and it will automatically commit any changes
to /etc before a package installation run, after a package installation
run, and on a daily basis.  You can also manually commit and customize
the message.

I've noticed etckeeper over the years, but have yet to try it. I didn't know it integrated with Apt; this supports my implied goal of copy-on-write.

David