Re: what is sitting on USB device?

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 11:03:05AM -0500, Mark Copper wrote:
> Trying to connect to a device, I get this error message:

What are you trying to do while this error show up? How does it
show up (e.g. desktop pop up, some log file...)?

> *** Error ***
> An error occurred in the io-library ('Could not claim the USB
> device'): Could not claim interface 0 (Device or resource busy). Make
> sure no other program (gvfs-gphoto2-volume-monitor) or kernel module
> (such as sdc2xx, stv680, spca50x) is using the device and you have
> read/write access to the device.
> *** Error (-53: 'Could not claim the USB device') ***

Things to try:

  - Issue (on a terminal, as root or sudo) "dmesg | tail", a short while
    after having inserted the USB device.
  - If the USB device poses as a storage device, issue "mount", to check
    whether something on your box (your DE, perhaps) has mounted the
    file system.
  - Look in /var/log/messages and/or /var/log/syslog (or however these
    things are called, should your init system be systemd: I'm not
    qualified for that, others will chime in, I guess).
    Note that USB devices can pose as different things "at the same
    time".

HTH
-- tomás