Re: An appropriate directory search tool?

On Sun, Oct 21, 2018 at 07:51:55PM +1100, Andrew McGlashan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 21/10/18 06:05, Brian wrote:
> > On Sat 20 Oct 2018 at 07:19:50 -0500, Richard Owlett wrote:
> >> Had never heard of 'zenity'. I browsed the text of the page. To
> >> read it as intended I'll have to use an alternate profile -- it
> >> expects "features" I've explicitly disabled.
> >>
> >> I searched for 'zenity tutorials'. The first few I found
> >> encourage further investigation.
> >
> > I'd stay awy from zenity if I were you. The same advice applies to
> > yad. As for dialog - don't go near it. You will be a lot happier.
>
> Zenity looks pretty ordinary.  Lots of output to terminal, chose
> random date, saw as follows:

I used zenity to build the GUI for a mini-application (basically a
front end for a semi-fixed rsync powered backup).

My take? Slow, inflexible, heavy dependencies footprint.

After that experience I fell back to use Tcl/Tk for that kind of
thing. My users love it.

Cheers
-- t