Re: Migrating Debian installation to a new motherboard

local10 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am looking for an easy way to move my Debian PC to a new motherboard, that is without reinstalling all the packages and config settings. All the hardware with the exception of the motherboard will remain the same, I have a spare hard drive, the same model as my working HD, which I can use as a setup area if needed. I did a similar migration with success some years back and used the "Shockingly easy server upgrade" writeup from Debian Planet as guide, which was available at http://www.debianplanet.org/node.php?id=875 <http://www.debianplanet.org/node.php?id=875> but it's no longer there and I can't find it.
>
> Any ideas? Thanks

  easiest, to just install from scratch and move over
files/configuration information as needed.

  you can get rid of a lot of cruft this way...

  the time you'll spend hunting for strange things isn't
really worth it and you don't want to miss out on different
drivers or configuration changes.

  a few hours time to get a new system installed is
worth it.

  plus the new board should have UEFI and that isn't
something you want to casually retrofit or mess up.

  the installer should set it up right.

  my $0.02

  songbird