Re: Where was the discussion of GNOME 3 shipping as the default desktop?

	Hi.

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 05:58:26PM -0500, Austin LaBerta wrote:
> Apologies for the baity title but its very literal.
>
> where was it? Google is giving me very poor results, I assume it was
> done over mailing list but I'm not even sure where to start lookin. All
> I can figure was that it was sometime around Jessie and that XFCE was
> the previous desktop.

It was - [1]. Jessie was testing back then, the official reason was - we
need Desktop Environment that fits on first CD.

> I'm not SUPER interested in Debating why it
> should/should not be (and i'd advice starting another thread for that
> if you want to shout about how much you hate/love GNOME), I just wanted
> to see the reasoning behind the decision.

[2] gives two official reasons - 'accessibility' and 'systemd
integration' and four 'less tangible things'.

I haven't searched debian-devel, but the discussion you're looking for
should be there - [3]. I'd start with Jul 2014, following by Aug 2014
and Sep 2014 (the change was made 19th September 2014).

Reco

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/tasksel/commit/2a962cc65cdba010177f27e8824ba10d9a799a08
[2] https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/tasksel/commit/dce99f5f8d84e4c885e6beb4cc1bb5bb1d9ee6d7
[3] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel