Re: What are the differences between systemd and non-systemd Linux distros?

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 12:05:58PM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> Two I can think of now.
> 1) no more /etc/rc.d/ directory tree; now /usr/lib/systemd/ for scripts,

Debian uses /lib/systemd/ instead of /usr/lib/systemd/.  Otherwise, yes.

> 2) systemd is supposed to be a security improvement over systemv.

It's a reliability and management improvement, not a security improvement
in the sense that people usually think of the word "security".  It's not
going to mean "fewer bugs" or "hackers can't get in", or anything of that
sort. (If anything, it IS more complex, so I would expect more bugs, just
on the general principle that complex code is more likely to have bugs.)

Debian's decision to follow the systemd path can be seen in part here:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-ctte/2013/12/msg00234.html

You should definitely read that if you have any interest in this subject.