Re: Disable and Enable Screensaver via Bash Script

On 10/16/18, tomas@tuxteam.de <tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 15, 2018 at 11:51:48PM +0000, Matthew Crews wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Currently I am running Stretch with XFCE (window manager is XFWM4). I
>> presently use Xscreensaver for my screen saver. Caffeine indicator
>> doesn't work with XFCE as far as I've been able to tell, so if I want to
>> temporarily disable the screensaver I need to do so manually, and
>> re-enable it manually.
>>
>> I'm wondering, is there a way to perform this feature with a bash
>> script? What I'm looking for is a bash script that does the following,
>> in sequence:
>>
>> 1. Disable Xscreensaver
>> 2. Run a given application
>> 3. When the application closes, re-enable Xscreensaver
>
> "One" way to do it would be to issue periodically "xscreensaver-command
> -deactivate"
> while your application is running [1].
>
> Here [2] is a practical example, for video players.
>
> Enjoy
>
> [1] https://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/man3.html
> [2] https://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/faq.html#dvd

SMPlayer has a preexisting preference option where you can toggle this
very feature on and off. It's found under:

Options > Preferences > General > Video

Down at the bottom of that tab, it says, "Disable Screensaver". The
tooltip says the screensaver will become enabled again when the video
stops playing.

A quick test drive shows that toggling that line on and off changes
the "disable_screensaver=true" line in
~/.config/smplayer/smplayer.ini. Not sure what that touches next,
though, and I need to keep moving onto something else this morning. In
the meantime, I'm imagining it touching something close to what tomas
has shared. :)

Just mentioning it out loud because of tomas offering this up now.
Maybe it's a wishlist item that can be suggested to other packages
that don't offer the same. Between tomas' offering above and SMPlayer
already having similar implemented, it won't be as hard for other
packages to try to add this same *user friendly* feature if they know
it exists. :)

Glass definitely not half full, I can't help but smell a really stinky
can of worms with this because of bugs it would surely trigger in the
early stages.... * sorry 'bout that!* :D

Cindy :)
--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with duct tape *