Re: Slow firefox and high cpu usage

On Fri, Oct 12, 2018 at 12:57:15PM -0500, David Wright wrote:
> On Wed 10 Oct 2018 at 18:45:16 (-0400), Dan Ritter wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 06:15:06PM -0400, bw wrote:
> > > On Wed, 10 Oct 2018, Dan Ritter wrote:
> > running software that the Debian Project does not package, and I
> > would argue that trying to keep a firefox-esr running is not the
> > right thing to do. Firefox just isn't ready for the Debian
> > definition of stable.
> >
> > The Debian volunteers working on Firefox would be better serving
> > the community if they were only spending a few minutes packaging
> > up each major-number release from Mozilla, and putting the rest
> > of the time towards looking for security problems in it.
> >
> > There may well be a use for a "stable" web browser, but Firefox
> > can't be that one.
>
> I would understand your writing the last sentence with the word
> "secure" (though I would wish to know which insecurities you're
> troubled by), but not as written here with "stable". I'm finding
> stretch's FF Quantum very stable so far. Is this because I don't
> use a DE, perhaps?

In the sense of "stable" as Debian "stable": for a period of
around 2-3 years, the software at the beginning is about the
same as the software at the end, modulo security fixes.

Firefox and Chrom[e|ium] are changing too rapidly for that to make
sense, in my opinion. Mozilla's own ESR program doesn't even
qualify, as they only maintain the release for "more than a
year".

-dsr-