Re: Slow firefox and high cpu usage

On 11/10/2018 11:36, bw wrote:
On Thu, 11 Oct 2018, Ben Caradoc-Davies wrote:
On 11/10/2018 11:15, bw wrote:
How exactly do you think stretch users should run an adblocker when all
the xul-ext-* extensions are now broken?
I see that there is a webext-ublock-origin for sid but I have never used it:
https://packages.debian.org/sid/web/webext-ublock-origin
p.s. and I use stable, because it is stable, not sid, which is unstable.
thanks anyway but I think your advice is a little dubious.

My point is not that you should use unstable, but that the evidence on sid suggests that webext-* packages are coming to stable ... when stable is called buster. I did not see any webext-* packages in stretch-backports. The workaround is to install them directly from upstream via Firefox.

I agree that it is sad that Firefox on stretch has been upgraded to break the xul-ext-* packages before webext-* packages are available. Unfortunately Debian is wedged between upstream dropping support for xul-ext-* extensions in ESR 60 and the end of life of ESR 52. You do want security patches, don't you? I think that ESR 60 with unpackaged extensions is the lesser evil. Normal service will likely be resumed in buster.

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <ben@transient.nz>
Director