Re: [OT] Systemd and forking programs (was systemd can't start a dæmon and doesn't give any error either)

On Tue, Oct 09, 2018 at 08:47:50AM -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:

[...]

> You're actually thinking of inittab here [...]

I know, I know. I've been around this for longer than I care.
I saw HP-UX's transition from one to another (9 -> 10). I've
had GNU/Linux distros spawning PostgreSQL off inittab (bad
idea to put respawn there without a sleep...)

Inittab was the original way of doing things for AT&T, BSD
copied that, and SysV grafted /etc/init.d onto it. Slowly
other unices followed (alas!).

I think inittab's ailments could have been cured differently,
but history is like that.

Cheers
-- t