Re: Which kernel should I use?

On Thursday 27 September 2018 19:40:59 Dennis Wicks wrote:

> I notice that there is available two different kernels;
>
> 	linux-image-4.9.0-8-686-pae
>
> and
>
> 	linux-image-4.9.0-8-rt-686-pae
>
> I am running on a Pentium 4.
>
> Which one of these should I be using? And just for
> curiosities sake, why?
>
> TIA!
> Dennis

The rt vesion is for apps such as LinuxCNC, where at least millisecond
IRQ response time can be assured. That may, or may not impinge on other
services, but as I'm running 5 copies of an older rt without any
showstoppers I'll not say which would be preferred until we are told
what your most important app is and expects.

Both of those are built for 32  bit installs, and will run on almost any
cpu.
--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)