Re: Which kernel should I use?

On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 06:40:59PM -0500, Dennis Wicks wrote:
> I notice that there is available two different kernels;
>
> 	linux-image-4.9.0-8-686-pae
>
> and
>
> 	linux-image-4.9.0-8-rt-686-pae
>
> I am running on a Pentium 4.
>
> Which one of these should I be using? And just for
> curiosities sake, why?

"rt" is for realtime.

Do not confuse "realtime" with "performance"; it actually means
that there are guaranteed bounds on certain kernel procedures,
not that everything will be fast.

You don't need realtime unless you are writing software for precisely
timed things on underpowered hardware. Say, running an engine controller.

Realtime will not help with things like audio or video editing.

-dsr-