Re: How to react on a factually wrong Debian wiki change ?

On Thu 27 Sep 2018 at 12:07:02 -0400, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 27, 2018 at 05:59:42PM +0200, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> > Alternatively:
> > - Does the wiki have means to discuss facts or to leave messages
> >   to other editors why a particular change was undone ?
>
> The "Comment" box on the edit page is the obvious place to state your
> reason for reverting someone else's change.  If you need more space than

The "Comment" box is probably the only option. Neither StephenKeeling
nor ThomasSchmitt are contactable by email from the "Info" section. But
a complete reversion of the addition isn't necessarily the way to go.
(See below).

> the wiki revision comment box provides (I don't know how many characters
> that is in moinmoin off hand, but I think it's a few hundred), then it
> becomes more of an issue.  Moinmoin doesn't maintain a parallel "Talk"
> page namespace.  You can put your explanation directly onto the page
> itself, if you think it will be of general interest.

I've seen this done; I do not think wiki pages on technical topics are
the place for advocacy.

> In the case of the BurnCd page, I actually *do* think that it would be
> of general interest to readers to have a paragraph explaining the limits
> of wodim, and when not to use it.  As well as the other tools, if they
> have important restrictions and limits.

Agreed.

"wodim should better not be used with DVD or BD media."

Perhaps a rewording:

 There is (strong? extensive?) evidence that wodim should not be used
 with DVD or BD media. However, the many variables involved, especially
 burner types and media type and quality, could result a successful
 burn.

--
Brian.