UPDATE - was [Re: Distinguish instances of GUI file manager by color]

On 09/26/2018 04:52 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
I'm setting up a new machine and copying files from the old machine's home directory. At the same time I'm creating a new directory structure to better match how I work.

I found it expedient to have at least three instances of the file manager open - [one for source directory and at least two for destination (sub)directories].

Suggestions?
Is it even possible?

Brief web search was not encouraging. But my search terms may have been the problem. Suggested search terms?

TIA

I asked related questions on a LUG list and a Tcl/Tk group.
Suggestions tended to lead to a two pane file manager.
Having followed multiple chains of links caused me to rethink my work flow simplifying use of my current file manager (Caja).

Long term, I'll pursue a two pane solution.
I've installed Krusader and GNOME Commander for testing.

A chain of links led to 'filerunner' [https://sourceforge.net/projects/filerunner/] which I downloaded and am reading the documentation to chose which options to initially chose.

Usage appears to be intuitive - at least for my work style.
It is intrinsically highly configurable.
It is written in Tcl/Tk allowing/encouraging further customization.

It will likely be my long term solution.

Thanks for all the links.