Re: Distinguish instances of GUI file manager by color

On 2018-09-26 10:52, Richard Owlett wrote:
I'm setting up a new machine and copying files from the old machine's
home directory. At the same time I'm creating a new directory
structure to better match how I work.

I found it expedient to have at least three instances of the file
manager open - [one for source directory and at least two for
destination (sub)directories].

Suggestions?
Is it even possible?

Brief web search was not encouraging. But my search terms may have
been the problem. Suggested search terms?

TIA

what you want is a GUI. doing all that at the prompt would be a pain.
There doesn't seem to be anything like the nice WinScp for linux but what seems to work is 2 instances of thunar.
you'll need ssh / sshd working first I think to have sftp
I always have ssh and sftp seems to be there.

In one instance of thunar type
"sftp://address-of-new-box";
navigate to /home/you and make your new directory structure by right clicking. in the other instance of thunar navigate to the files you want to keep and drag them across. This copies them so you'll need to keep track of what you've done with a pencil and paper just to save time.

mick

--
Key ID    4BFEBB31