Re: odvr for Olympus WN-960PC : problem installing multimedia repository on Stretch

Bernard wrote:

> True enough, the package odvr is not in any Debian repository. Reading
> more carefully the same doc from Ray Woodcocks, I found a Google storage
> place where said package could be downloaded
>
> https://code.google.com/archive/p/odvr/downloads
>
> But... trying to install
>
> #dpkg -i odvr_0.1.4.1_i386.deb
>
> I got an error message saying that my hardware was not compatible since
> it was md65, not i386. The same Google archive also proposes something
> for md65, but it has to be built and compiled, and there is NO MAKEFILE
> provided... the user is supposed to create its own, and I am not ready
> to go that way.
>
> So, instead, I installed odvr_0.1.4.1_i386.deb on a very old DELL
> Inspiron running Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron)... and... IT WORKS there with
> my Olympus recorder !

Hi, first of all we don't top post as it is hard to read. Secondly you meant
amd64 and not md65 (I guess).
If this is the case you may need to install i386 compatibility aka
multiarch. This means you can run 386 software on 64bit.
https://wiki.debian.org/Multiarch/HOWTO

Another option would be to use the amd64 package
https://storage.googleapis.com/google-code-archive-downloads/v2/code.google.com/odvr/odvr-0.1.4.1_amd64.deb

I personally would try to compile and if compile succeeds repackage for
stretch.

I wounder why you stick to the 0.1.4 when there is 0.1.5, but as it looks
like you have time to spend, you may try compiling both.
In both tar files I see make files - not sure where you looked at

https://storage.googleapis.com/google-code-archive-downloads/v2/code.google.com/odvr/odvr-0.1.5.tar.gz
https://storage.googleapis.com/google-code-archive-downloads/v2/code.google.com/odvr/odvr-0.1.4.1.tar.gz

regards