Re: Why does Debian allow all incoming traffic by default

On Fri, Sep 21, 2018 at 08:55:21AM -0400, Henning Follmann wrote:
Run a netstat -t -l and you will see there is nothing listening. So
what is the point of running a firewall?

There's plenty of reasons to run a firewall even if you think you are
not running any services. You may be mistaken; a service may be started
without your knowledge, either in error or as an unintended consequence
of something you have done (install/run another piece of software); or,
a third party may have acquired access to your machine in some way and
attempted to run a backdoor process to listen for incoming connections.

--

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Dowland