Re: Apache and PHP-FPM

Hi,

On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 05:52:28PM +0200, Martin LEUSCH wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a web server with Apache 2.4 running in worker mode and multiple php
> version with FPM service running in dynamic mode.
>
> Sometimes php-fpm stop responding and I got a 503 error on php request but
> apache still respond to http request to other files (css, js, jpeg, ...)
> then after a while apache stop respond (nothing logged on error log neither
> in access log). I have to restart apache and php-fpm services to unlock the
> server.

Did you check php-fpm log as well? It's /var/log/php7.0-fpm.log in
php-fpm package in stretch.

> Off course it's append while I have malicious activity on the server, the
> last time it's happen I found a SQL injection attempt that causing lot of
> php error (maybe an infinite loop).

I would consider what can be done to protect against these attacks in
the code. This could be the root cause of the issue.

> How can I avoid these kind of situation? Can I optimize actual settings?
> Should I use mpm_event with apache and/or ondemand process manager with
> PHP-FPM?
>

> mpm_worker config:
>
>     StartServers             2
>     MinSpareThreads         25
>     MaxSpareThreads         75
>     ThreadLimit             64
>     ThreadsPerChild         25
>     MaxRequestWorkers      150
>     MaxConnectionsPerChild   0
>

> php-fpm pool config:
>
> pm = dynamic
> pm.max_children = 5

This could be a problem if you are getting spammed. Try increasing to
see if it slows down the appearence of timeouts, but see above
regarding code.

--
Nazar