Re: Why does Debian allow all incoming traffic by default

Subhadip Ghosh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using Debian and the recently I learned that a standard Debian
> installation allows all 3 types of traffics especially incoming by
> default. I know I can easily use iptables to tighten the rules but I
> wanted to know the reasons behind the choice of this default behaviour
> and if it makes the system more vulnerable? I tried searching on the
> Internet but did not get any satisfactory explanation. It will be
> helpful if anybody knows the answers to my questions or can redirect me
> to a helpful document.

  whenever i install a new system i include ufw (a firewall
program) just to catch any funny stuff that might try to
come through.

  the default settings seem to work well enough and i'm glad
i don't have to relearn the terminology and rules for iptables.

  i'm sure a much better solution is to run a separate router
as it's own layer of firewall may keep a lot of stuff out,
but as of yet i'm just not under attack enough to make it
worth it.

  songbird