Re: Installing from live

Hi,

> Sure, but a 32GB USB stick is now to be had for $10. Would that
> be suitable?

Well, it is an extra precondition. Maybe the USB stick is already planned
to finally hold the boot-ready ISO image.

Whatever, if an extra USB stick without valuable data is at hand, this
seems to be a viable way to get buffer space without altering the local
disks. I wonder what partitioning can be expected on a typical MS-Windows
user's USB sticks.
Re-partitioning would need extra instructions, probably depending on the
live desktop that was started.

It would be really useful, if jigdo-lite could be talked into working
directly on the USB stick which shall later be used for booting.
But it insists in creating a new file with the name of the ISO image.

Its slave, jigdo-file has an option to set the ISO image name.
But it's too much C++ to show me where it opens the result file and what
it expects of it.

  https://sources.debian.org/src/jigdo/0.7.3-5/src/mkimage.cc/#L903
is my main suspect:
    imgDel.reset(new bfstream(name, ios::binary|ios::out|ios::trunc));
Shrug.

> What I was envisaging was a windows user closing down, booting up a
> USB stick's live Debian and corrupting their windows disk by using
> it to store ISO files.

By what words could i warn MS-Windows users of this pitfall ?
Any proposals ?

> The reason I was being invasive (on windows's terms) is because, as I
> explained at the end of another thread¹, I was making room for a new
> Debian system on the laptop.

That, plus making an own fileystem, would probably avoid problems with
MS-Windows filesystems by writing to them from live Debian.
Well, with the USB stick proposal we have something similar which does
not leave permanent changes on the MS-Windows disks.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas