Re: Trying to use SP Flash Tool (Mediatek), latest version requires libpng12-0, which is not available

On 18.09.2018 15:49, Carl Fink wrote:
On 09/17/2018 10:43 PM, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:

There is no package in buster that provides libpng12.so.0 . The
libpng12-dev is also not available in testing. It was there in Jessie
(oldstable).

Yes.

That is why I said that in my original message.

As for installing the Jessie version as suggested crossthread: I get the exact
error mentioned in my original message:

    dpkg: error processing archive libpng12-0_1.2.50-2+deb8u3_amd64.deb (--install):

    unable to install new version of '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpng12.so.0': No such file or directory

I suggest to build a Debian package for your current version of Debian.
The process is not complicated and this is the only right way to do it without possibly breaking the system.
If you just install .deb file there is a chance that won't work properly on your current version of Debian, or work with problems because it lacking libc\ABI compatibility.
It will be bad if SP Flash die with SIGV during erasing\flashing.

You can follow this detailed tutorial [1] to build it.

libpng12-0 builds fast and without issues on stretch, so I think it will build in the same way on buster.

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/SimpleBackportCreation

--
With kindest regards, Alexander.

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀