Re: Trying to use SP Flash Tool (Mediatek), latest version requires libpng12-0, which is not available

On 2018-09-18, Carl Fink <carlf@panix.com> wrote:
> On 09/17/2018 10:43 PM, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
>
>> There is no package in buster that provides libpng12.so.0 . The
>> libpng12-dev is also not available in testing. It was there in Jessie
>> (oldstable).
>
> Yes.
>
> That is why I said that in my original message.
>
> As for installing the Jessie version as suggested crossthread: I get the exact
> error mentioned in my original message:

Not really.

>      dpkg: error processing archive libpng12-0_1.2.50-2+deb8u3_amd64.deb (--install):
>
>      unable to install new version of '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpng12.so.0': No such file or directory

I read Greg W's theory regarding this error, but then saw this
thread

https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/331803/cannot-install-libpng12-0-on-debian/331975

in which an unfortunate user fails to install the Jessie version of the
package in question (in Stretch), encountering the same (or very
similar) error as you did (the reasons for which escape my
understanding, however, so sadly no help from this quarter on that
score, except to say the OP of the thread above went back to Wheezy for
his libpng12.so.0 with success).

As someone mentioned here

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=130905&p=631940#p631940

another way to go would be to edit the dependency so that the soft
accepts the available version of the library, if such a thing is
possible in this case.

Hope I'm not completely *à côté de la plaque* with all this.

--
“An oak is a tree. A rose is a flower. A deer is an animal. A sparrow is a
bird. Russia is our fatherland. Death is inevitable.” Russian school book.