stretch update of thunderbird wants to remove enigmail

Greetings,

I run debian stretch:

ni@quark:/etc$ cat debian_version
9.5

and I use a number of email clients. I see there is currently an update
(presumably security related?) for thunderbird. But as this upgrade would
remove enigmail I chose (at least for the moment) to not implement it.

Does anyone know if there are plans in the works for an associated upgrade of
enigmail so that it might be possible in the near future to upgrade
thunderbird without losing embedded support for gnupg?

I'm not subscribed to this list (but will check the archives on-line for a
while to make sure I don't miss a reply), so CCs to me are fine (and even
appreciated if you are willing).

    thanks so very much in advance,
         ~e