Re: update problem

On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 22:56:55 -0400
Default User <hunguponcontent@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 1:16 PM Patrick Bartek <nemommxiv@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 00:56:03 -0400
> > Default User <hunguponcontent@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > On Mon, Sep 10, 2018, 23:42 Patrick Bartek <nemommxiv@gmail.com>
> > > wrote:
> > >
> > > [big snip]

> > > Hi, Patrick.
> > >

> > > I always try to use the latest version of the kernel and other
> > > packages as soon as they come out - I want my fair share of the
> > > freshest bugs available! That's why I track unstable.
> > >
> > > : )
> >
> > Since you like to be on the cutting edge, perhaps a rolling release
> > would be more suitable.  It certainly would be more stable than Sid
> > which is really for development where bugs and gotchas abound (as
> > you've discovered). Arch and VoidLinux come to mind.
> >
> > I tested VoidLinux in VirtualBox for several months as a possible
> > replacement for Wheezy, and never had any problems. But discovered
> > it was a rolling release, and I don't like rolling releases. So,
> > abandoned it.
> >
> > Gentoo might be another distro that would work well for you.

> A while ago, I did an update, using aptitude, kernel  4.18.0-1-amd64,
> and the repository mirror at http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian.
>
> It worked, without stalling.
>
> So maybe it wasn't a kernel problem after all, but a transient
> problem with the update infrastructure.
> Strange that no one else noticed it . . .

Possibly you were the only one. You system (or Internet connection)
just hiccuped during the update/upgrade. And that was enough.

> Anyway, thanks to all who replied with help.
>
> Now, regarding other distributions:
>
> Void?
> Heard the project leader just sort of wandered away.
> Maybe after Void matures for a few years, I'll check it out.

Hadn't heard that. But I don't keep up since I never intend to use Void
even though I like the runit init system: small, fast, simple.

> Gentoo?
> I can't spend the time and effort to compile, compile, compile.
> And I don't own an electric power plant.

Years ago, had a friend who used Gentoo.  He said the initial install,
compiling, etc is a pain, but once done, updating is fairly quick.
Plus, you have the advantage of a system that is customized to your
hardware and personal tastes.  System runs and boots faster.

Read some time ago that Gentoo now has precompiled binaries.  So, no
compiling needed unless you want to. Don't know how well it works
though.

> Arch?
> I've used it. It's actually good.
> Until it's not.
> The developers, IMHO, are insular, insolent jerks.
> The refuse to have a real installer, and deliberately make
> installation of a full system difficult, so as to keep their private
> club private. The same attitude infests their mailing lists and
> forums, too. And the Arch User Repository (AUR) sucks.
> But the wiki is good . . .
> (And much of it is applicable to other distributions, including
> Debian.)

Never used Arch.  Rolling release, you know.  But, yes, the wikis are
outstanding. Used them extensively when I first decided to install a
customized version of Wheezy to reduce bloat and improve performance
on my aging system. Worked so well, did the same thing with Stretch
after support ceased on Wheezy. Have done the same thing with Devuan in
a VM for testing. Works even better.

> That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Glad everything worked out for you.