Re: update problem

On Mon, Sep 10, 2018, 23:42 Patrick Bartek <nemommxiv@gmail.com> wrote:
On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 20:14:05 -0400
Default User <hunguponcontent@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 9, 2018, 20:09 Patrick Bartek <nemommxiv@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 9 Sep 2018 10:52:39 -0400
> > Default User <hunguponcontent@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > UPDATE:
> > >
> > > Problem still occurring as of 2018-09-09 14.50 UT.
> > > No indication of whether anyone else is experiencing this
> > > condition.
> >
> > I don't run Sid/Unstable, but "updates" on both Wheezy which I ran
> > for 5+ years and now Stretch on occasion stall, but very rarely
> > like 4 or 5 times a year. I've traced this particular "problem" to
> > a repo that is not available for whatever reason. My guesses why
> > are its files are being updated and access is locked out, the
> > server is very busy and too overloaded to respond or is down for
> > maintenance, its Internet access is off line, or my ISP is having
> > problems.  I usually just CTRL-C out of it and try later which
> > usually works.
> >
> > As to your "bug reports" download.  This could be the crux of your
> > problem since that file is being updated to its most current status
> > BEFORE it's downloaded.  My take a lot of time.
> >
> > And a third reason: You're using Sid.  It's called Unstable for
> > multiple reasons.
> >
> > Have you tried using apt-get or apt instead of aptitude?  I haven't
> > used aptitude since I first installed Sarge a dozen+ years ago using
> > floppies.
> >
> > Also, besides checking your sources.list, check what's in
> > sources.list.d, too.

> Hi, Patrick.
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I have tried updating with:
> - aptitude
> - apt
> - apt-get
>
> No difference.
>
> I checked /etc/apt/sources.list, it is unchanged and has worked ever
> since I first upgraded to unstable, quite a while ago.
>
> I even tried changing repository mirrors. Again no change.
>
> And, BTW, the directory /etc/apt/sources.d is empty.

I think you mean sources.list.d

> BUT, I have been using kernel 4.18.1. On a hunch, I booted into kernel
> 4.17.3. Then I did a small update of only 2 packages using aptitude.
>
> It worked without stalling at retrieving bug reports 0% !

Check bug reports on 4.18.1.  Any reason you need to run .18?  Or Sid,
for that matter?

> So it might just be an issue with 4.18.1. But if so, I am surprised
> that no one else using 4.18.1 has posted here, saying that they had
> that problem also.

Could be you're the only one having the problem.  It's not the first
time someone experiences a problem that no one else does.  I've seen it
happen even with Stable.  Each user's hardware and set up is pretty
unique.

> Or even to say that they haven't . . .
> : )
>
> Anyway, I will wait until at least tomorrow to try it again, with a
> larger update, to see how that goes.

Well, it is Unstable.  So, problems are expected.  It's the nature
of the beast. Let us know how it goes.  At worst, since .17 works,
stick with it until the kernel after 4.18.1 is released. Or compile
your own.

Hi, Patrick.

You are correct, of course - I did mean /etc/apt/sources.list.d . . .

I always try to use the latest version of the kernel and other packages as soon as they come out - I want my fair share of the freshest bugs available! That's why I track unstable.

: )

I will check for relevant bug reports on 4.18.1 tomorrow, and if necessary, I can always use 4.17.3 for now.